Dr. Ashok Seth is the current Chairman of Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, New Delhi and Head, Cardiology Council of Fortis Group of Hospitals. His contributions in the field of Cardiology, especially Interventional Cardiology have been recognised extensively in India as well as across the world. During his career span of 30-years, he has pioneered numerous angioplasty techniques Directional Atherectomy, Angioscopy, Stents, Thrombectomy devices and Drug Eluting Stents, use of Impella heart support device failing heart, Bioabsorbable Stents and TAVI and implemented it successfully both in India and other regions in Asia Pacific. He has performed one of the highest number of angiographies and angioplasties which has been mentioned in the 'LIMCA Book of Records'.
He has been a part of the Focused Advisory Group and seminal studies for development and clinical applicability of Bioresorbable Scaffold (BRS) Stent which is highly recognised technique worldwide.
For his unique achievements & contributions he has been honoured with the prestigious National Honour of "Padma Bhushan" and "Padma Shri" Award by the President of India in 2015 and 2003 respectively, the National Award of Republic of Spain "Officer's Cross Order of Isabella the Catholic" in 2010, 'Mason Sones Award' from SCAI (USA) in 2010 and numerous other awards.
Dr. Seth has been the President of the Cardiological Society of India and Vice President of the Asian Pacific Society of Cardiology. He was elected Board of Trustee of SCAI (USA) for the period 2007-2010 and is presently a member of the SCAI Nominating Committee and Voting Selector of the MSCAI Nominating Committee. He has been invited to lecture on and demonstrate complex angioplasty techniques in more than 400 international training courses and meetings across the globe including live transmissions of complex cases from India to the TCT and EuroPCR Meetings. He is on the Editorial Board of JACC Cardiovascular Interventions, CCI, Euro Intervention, Indian Heart Journal and others.
He has been honoured by Doctorate from four prestigious Universities in India. He has more than 250 publications to his credit in prestigious Indian and International medical journals, written and edited chapters in 10 text books of Cardiology and Medicine & edited two books in Cardiology. He has trained more than 350 cardiologists from India and abroad in advance techniques of angioplasty.
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S.), J N Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University, India, 1978.
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians (M.R.C.P.), U.K., 1984.
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians (M.R.C.P.), Ireland, 1986
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (F.R.C.P.), Edinburgh, 1995
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (F.R.C.P.), Ireland, 1995
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (F.R.C.P.), London, 1995
- Fellow of the American College of Cardiology (F.A.C.C.), 1995
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (F.E.S.C.), 2013.
- Fellow of the Society of Cardiac Angiography & Intervention (F.S.C.A.I.), U.S.A., 1995
- Fellow of the International Medical Sciences Academy (F.I.M.S.A.), 1998
- Fellow of the Cardiological Society of India (F.C.S.I.), 2011.
- Doctorate of Science (D.Sc) Honoris Causa, Banaras Hindu University, India, 1998
- Doctorate of Science (D.Sc) Honoris Causa, Tirthankar Mahavir University, Moadabad, India, 2012.
- Doctor of Letters (D.Litt.) Honoris Causa, Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi, India, 2012.
- Doctor of Science (D.Sc) Honoris Causa, Amity University, Noida (U.P.), India, 2012.
Honorary Professor of Cardiology
- Gandhi Medical College, Bhopal (2000 onwards).
- Medical College, Raipur (2001 onwards)
- Medical College, Bilaspur (2001 onwards)
- Padmashree Dr. D Y Patil University (2008 onwards)
- Bangladesh Medical College, Dhaka, Bangladesh, (1998 onwards)
- Honourary National Professor
- Annual Course on Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, Association of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons of India, (1996 onwards) "Dudley" Visiting Professor University of Birmingham, Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, U.K (1995)
- Performed one of the highest numbers of angiographies and angioplasties in the world and features in the 'LIMCA' Book of Records.
- Been a part of the core team instrumental in creating the Escorts Heart Institute, New Delhi from its first day when he became the Head of Invasive and Interventional Cardiology on his return from England on 3rd October 1988. He was one of the key pillars to make it into one of the most famous landmark institutes in the World. He left the Escorts Heart Institute in Dec'04 to create a new standard in cardiac care in Max Heart & Vascular Institute.
- Dr. Seth has the unique honour of been invited to demonstrate and teach complex angioplasty techniques via the satellite transmission from New Delhi to the 'Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics in 2003 & 2007' Meeting in Washington DC (USA) and to EuroPCR in Paris in 2006 (from Bangkok) & in 2003 (from Chennai), which are the most important and biggest meetings of Interventional Cardiologists across the World. This is a unique prestige and privilege for India. He has also done live transmissions of complex angioplasty techniques from India to international meetings in Singapore, Malaysia, Paris, China, Australia, Korea, Sri Lanka etc.
- Dr. Seth has been highly acclaimed internationally for academics and research. He is the Associate Editor of the International Journal of Cardiology Member and is on the editorial boards of the Journal American College of Cardiology; Cardiovascular Interventions, Catheterization and Cardiovascular Intervention; and Euro Intervention. These are the most important Interventional Cardiology journals in the World and are an unprecedented honour for an Indian.
- Dr. Seth has had the unique distinction to be elected on the Board of Governors of Society of Cardiac Angiographies and Intervention (USA) the official professional and regulatory body of interventional cardiologists in USA which has a global influence. This is a first for any cardiologist from Asia.
- He has been invited to be a member of expert committee of "Society of Cardiovascular Angiography & Interventions (USA)" for its international position statement on "Percutaneous Coronary Interventions Without On-Site Surgical Backup" and is a co-author of the 'Guidelines' which have been supported by 15 Interventional Cardiology Societies across the World.
- Dr. Seth is a Member of the Expert Committee of the Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation, Directorate General of Health Services, and is responsible for examining issues relating to regulatory requirements for exercising control over medical devices (from October 2009 onwards).
- Dr. Seth is one of the youngest person to be honoured Doctorate of Science (D.Sc.) honouris Causa by Banaras Hindu University in 1998.
- He also was one of the youngest overseas doctors to be awarded with the Fellowship of all the three Royal Colleges of London, Edinburgh & Ireland in year 1995.
- Dr. Seth has trained more than 350 cardiologists from India and abroad for applying advanced techniques of angioplasty. The governments of Malaysia, Bangladesh, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia and organisations such as WHO, SAARC, Cardiac Society, has sponsored doctors from their country to be trained under Dr. Seth.
- Dr. Seth is the Organizer / Course Director of the following international meetings
- INDIA LIVE
- Complex Live Demo Course
- SCAI Adult Interventional Fellows Course
- Asia BRS Summit
- TCT Scientific Sessions (Washington)
- Asian Interventional Cardiovascular Therapeutics (AICT)