The Know-Hows of Urology Treatments
Urology, to define in simple terms, is a branch of medical science that deals with the health and functionality of the urinary tract and the reproductive system of both men and women. The department is typically responsible for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions, infections, and diseases which trigger in the organs that fall under this arm.
Urinary System Related Diseases
Lifestyle changes and bad eating habits are two main reasons behind the onset of a wide variety of problems in the urinary system of the body. Some chronic diseases related to urinary system are as follows:-
Urinary Incontinence is a much underrated and underdiagnosed problem that usually increases with age. It affects nearly 50 to 80% of elderly individuals, and its implications are practically twice in case of women that in men. There are four types of incontinences which a person is likely to suffer. These are stress, urge, mixed and functional urinary incontinence.
Pelvic Organ Prolapse
It is a condition wherein a pelvic organ, for instance, the bladder drops or prolapses from its original place and pushes against the walls of the vagina. It usually occurs when the muscles that hold the pelvic organ stretch out or become weak due to surgery or after the birth of a child. Other organs that can prolapse include urethra, uterus, vagina, small bowel, and rectum.
A fistula is a hole or passage that develops between two organs of the body or an organ and the skin of the body. There are four types of fistula conditions that an individual is prone to suffer. These are vesicovaginal, vesicouterine, vesicocutaneous and urethral fistula. These are usually treated through surgical methods only.
Some inhered abnormalities can widely affect the functionality of the urinary system of the body. These include vaginal agenesis wherein a woman faces difficulty in having a sexual intercourse and carry a baby; imperforate hymen wherein a hymen without an opening obstructs the vagina and disrupts it from perforating during fetal development; and a vaginal septum that divides the vagina into two sections. The problems can be fixed and do not pose many risks. However, following the instructions of the doctor post treatment is highly recommended.
There are many conventional and contemporary treatments available with medical science today that help treat the diseases mentioned above and conditions in an efficient manner.
Before recommending a surgery or an inpatient medical treatment, urologists thoroughly study the problem, condition of the patient, history, and only then make the final call. In most cases, conventional methods are enough to relieve a patient of his urinary related problem. Some of these traditional treatments include:-
- Pelvic floor reduction - This helps in strengthening the pelvic floor muscles and improving bladder and bowel control.
- Biofeedback - This technique makes use of sensors attached the body to measure the essential bodily functions and gain control over their activity.
- Urge suppression drill - This method aids in improving poor bladder habits such as urinating at the very first urge to urinate and much more.
- Relaxation techniques - this helps combat stress and keep away problems from triggering inside the body.
- Pessary for prolapse - Pessary is a kind of device that helps in reducing the symptoms of prolapses to a great extent.
Contemporary Medical Treatments
The field of medical science today has a plethora of contemporary treatments that can help cure a broad spectrum of urinary diseases. Some of the most effective treatments are as follows:-
- Vaginal reconstructive surgeries such as Mesh augmented repairs, simple fascial repairs, Sacrospinous ligament fixation, etc.
- Miduretheral/Pubovaginal slings.
- Vaginal/abdominal hysterectomies.
- Minimally invasive (Robotic/Laparoscopic) reconstructive surgeries.
- Fascial grafts.
- Abdominal reconstructive surgeries.
- Steroid/Botulinum toxin injections.
Cystectomy, nephrectomy, and urethroplasty too are popular treatment methods used for effective treatments against an array of urinary tract and reproductive system related infection, diseases, and conditions.