Dr. Parvathi Unninayar Iyer
Years of experience
Dr Parvathi U Iyer is currently Director, Paediatric Cardiac Intensive Care at the Fortis Escorts Heart Institute (FEHI), New Delhi - one of the busier Paediatric cardiac programs in India. She is a pioneer in the specialty of Paediatric cardiac critical care. She was closely involved in setting up the Paediatric program in 1995 - the first integrated program that incorporated an intensivist in India. She graduated from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi and trained in Paediatric and Neonatal Intensive care at the Royal Childrens' Hospital, Melbourne and Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney.
Pediatric & Congenital Heart Surgery
Assistant Professor (CTVS) - All India Institute of Medical Sciences,1994-95
- First pediatric cardiac intensivist in the country and started the first dedicated pediatric cardiac ICU in Northern India at FEHI in 1995
- First to generate internationally comparable outcomes in neonatal and infant cardiac surgery and surgery for complex congenital heart disease.
- Have trained over 20 pediatric cardiac intensivists who are manning ICU's nationally and internationally
- Have helped set up many pediatric cardiac ICU's within the country and in other countries like
- Bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia and Nepal by training intensivists and ICU nurses.
- Have set up nursing protocols and have been actively involved in nurse training in the ICU
- Recognized internationally for creating a model for delivery of high class pediatric intensive care in an environment of limited resources.
Awards & Distinctions
- Secured second rank in Delhi University in the PreMedical Examination, April 1973.
- Secured following awards in Medical College between August 1973 & December 1977:
a) Book prizes for securing the highest marks in the following subjects: i) Pathology ii) Microbiology iii) Pharmacology iv) Internal Medicine
b) Secured "Institute Merit Scholarship" throughout.
- Adjudged the Best House Surgeon in Pediatrics, PGI Chandigarh, July 1981.
- Adjudged the Best Postgraduate in Pediatrics and was awarded the Silver Medal, PGI Chandigarh, December 1983
- Awarded the V.B.RAJU AWARD II, at the XXIIIrd Annual conference of the Indian Academy of Pediatrics, November 1986, New Delhi for CHILD HEALTH
- Secured the First Prize for the best presentation at the Eleventh Annual Congress of the Australian Perinatal Society in conjunction with the New Zealand Perinatal Society, July 1993, Hobart, Tasmania.
- Secured an Award for the best paper at the Pediatric Cardiac Symposium, October 1997, Royal Children`s Hospital, Melbourne, Australia, (post conference Symposium 13th Biennial Asian Congress on Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery