Dr. Vivekanand Jha
Years of experience
Director, Academics and Research
Nephrology and Kidney Transplantation
- All aspects of nephrology and kidney transplantation.
- Global Health, integrative medicine.
- Use of technology to deliver improved healthcare.
- Head, Department of Translational and Regenerative Medicine, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh 2006-2013.
- Professor In-charge, Medical Education and Research Cell, PGIMER, 2010-2013.
- Professor of Nephrology, PGIMER, Jul 2008 - Mar 2016.
- Co-ordinator, Stem Cell Research Facility, PGIMER, 2006 - 2010.
- Additional Professor of Nephrology, PGIMER, Jul 2002 - June 2008.
- Associate Professor of Nephrology, PGIMER, Jul 1998 - Jun 2002.
- Assistant Professor of Nephrology, PGIMER, Oct 1992 - Jun 1997.
- Pool Officer in Nephrology, PGIMER, Jul 1991 - Sept 1992.
- Senior Resident (Nephrology), PGIMER, Jan 1989 - Jun 1991.
- Junior Resident (Internal Medicine), PGIMER, Jan 1986 - Dec 1988.
- Executive Director, George Institute for Global Health 2013-current.
- Head, Department of Translational and Regenerative Medicine, PGIMER, 2006-2013.
- Professor In-charge, Medical Education and Research Cell, PGIMER, 2010-2013.
Memberships & Other Positions:
- President-Elect, International Society of Nephrology (2017- present).
- President-Elect, Asian Pacific Society of Nephrology (2016- present).
- Chair, Education Committee, International Society of Nephrology (2015-present).
- Chair, Education Ambassador Program, International Society of Nephrology (2015-present).
- Chair, Education Committee, The Transplantation Society (2104-present).
- Councilor, The Transplantation Society (2012- present).
- Member, WHO Expert Advisory Panel on Human Cell, Tissue and Organ Transplantation (2011- present).
- Member, Executive Committee, International Society of Nephrology (2011- present).
- Councilor, International Society of Nephrology (2011- present).
- Member, Education Committee, International Society of Peritoneal Dialysis (2010-present).
- Member, Education Committee, International Transplantation Society (2010-2015).
- Secretary, Indian Society of Nephrology (2009-2015).
- Member, Executive Committee, Declaration of Istanbul Custodian Group (2009-2015).
- Member, Global Workgroup for developing guidelines for management of Glomerulonephritis by the Kidney Disease-Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) initiative (2009-2011).
- Member, Ethics Committee, The Transplantation Society (2009- 2010).
- Member, Steering Committee of WHO initiative on data harmonization in transplantation.
- Chair, Asia Subcommittee, Renal Disaster Relief Task Force, International Society of Nephrology (2007- present).
- Co-chair, Education Advisory Committee, International Society of Nephrology (2007- 2011).
- Member, Workgroup for developing guidelines for management of kidney transplant recipient by National Kidney Foundation (USA) and the Kidney Disease-Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) initiative (2006-09).
- Member, Executive Committee, Protection of the rights of kidney donors constituted by The Transplantation Society and International Society of Nephrology (2007- present). Executive Committee Member, The Board of Asian Forum of Chronic Kidney Disease Initiative (2007- present).
Awards and Honors
- Awarded Ross Bailey Lecture, Asian Pacific Congress of Nephrology, Perth (2016).
- Awarded Honorary International Membership of the Japanese Society of Nephrology (2016).
- Awarded Dr CM Seth Oration, Indian Medical Association, Dehradun (2016).
- Awarded World Kidney Day Oration, St John's Medical College, Bangalore, March 2016.
- Awarded Dr BS Chaubey Oration, Central India Nephrology Society and Association of Physicians of India, Vidarbha Chapter, Nagpur. February 2015.
- Awarded J.M. Patel Oration of the Indian Society of Organ Transplantation, October 2014.
- Awarded Fellowship of The Royal College of Physicians (Edinburgh) 2014.
- Awarded Balaji Gold medal and Nephrology Chair Oration, Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences, Tirupati, January 2014.
- Awarded Dr P. Brahmayya Sastry Oration of the Andhra Medical College, Vishakhapatnam, March 2012.
- Awarded Dr Sita Devi Oration by The CARE Foundation, Hyderabad 2011.
- Awarded Fellowship of The National Academy of Medical Sciences (India) 2010.
- Awarded Fellowship of The Royal College of Physicians (London) 2009.
- Awarded Dr Shiv Narain Singh Oration, Patna Medical College, Patna Feb 2006.
- Received best paper award at the Annual Conference of the Indian Society of Nephrology (2003).
- Awarded the Dr. Coelho Memorial Lectureship in Experimental Medicine by the Association of Physicians of India (2003).
- D.M. (Nephrology) Postgraduate Medical Institute, Chandigarh, India, December 1990.
- M.D. (Internal Medicine) Postgraduate Medical Institute, Chandigarh, India, December 1988.
- M.B.B.S. Patna Medical College, Patna, India, December 1983.
- International Society of Nephrology Exchange Research Fellow, Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA 1999-2000.
Research and recent publications
- Kumar V, Yadav AK, Lal A, Kumar V, Singhal M, Billot L, Gupta KL, Banerjee D, Jha V*. Impact of vitamin D supplementation on vascular function in patients with chronic kidney disease: A double blind, randomized, placebo controlled trial. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology (in press).
- Cerda J*, Mohan S, Garcia-Garcia G, Jha V, Samavedam S, Gowrishankar S, Bagga A, Chakravarthi R, Mehta. Acute Kidney Injury Recognition in Low and Middle-Income Countries. Kidney International Reports 2017 April 25 [epub ahead of print].
- Singh S, Kumar S, Dasgupta S, Kenwar DB, Rathi M, Sharma A, Kohli HS, Jha V, Gupta KL, Minz M. A Single-center Experience of Kidney Transplantation from Donation after Circulatory Death: Challenges and Scope in India. Indian Journal of Nephrology. 2017 May-Jun;27(3):205-209.
- Joshi R, John O, Jha V*. The potential impact of public health interventions in preventing kidney disease. Seminars in Nephrology. 2017 May; 37(3): 234-44.
- GBD 2015 Healthcare Access and Quality Collaborators. Healthcare Access and Quality Index based on mortality from causes amenable to personal health care in 195 countries and territories, 1990-2015: a novel analysis from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015. Lancet. 2017 May 18. pii: S0140-6736(17)30818-8.
- ISN Global Kidney Health Summit participants. Global kidney health 2017 and beyond: a roadmap for closing gaps in care, research, and policy. Lancet. 2017 Apr 20. pii: S0140-6736(17)30788-2.
- Maulik PK, Kallakuri S, Devarapalli S, Vadlamani VK, Jha V, Patel A. Increasing use of mental health services in remote areas using mobile technology: a pre-post evaluation of the SMART Mental Healthproject in rural India. Journal of Global Health. 2107; 7(1): 010408,
- Kumar V, Yadav AK, Gang S, John O, Modi GK, Ojha JP, Pandey R, Parameswaran S, Prasad N, Sahay M, Varughese S, Baid-Agarwal S, Jha V*. Indian chronic kidney disease study: Design and methods. Nephrology (Carlton). 2017 Apr;22(4):273-278.
- Jha V*, Martin D, Bargman J, Davies S, Feehally J, Finkelstein F, Harris D, Misra M, Remuzzi G, Levin A. Ethical issues in dialysis therapy. Lancet 2017 Feb 23. pii: S0140-6736(16)32408-4.
- Chani B, Puri V, Sobti RC, Jha V, Puri S. Decellularized scaffold of cryopreserved rat kidney retains its recellularization potential. PLoS One. 2017 Mar 7;12(3):e0173040.
- Ramachandran R, Yadav AK, Kumar V, Siva Tez Pinnamaneni V, Nada R, Ghosh R, Kumar V, Rathi M, Kohli HS, Gupta KL, Sakhuja V, Jha V*. Two-year Follow-up study of Membranous Nephropathy treated with Tacrolimus and Corticosteroids vs. Cyclical Corticosteroids and Cyclophosphamide.
- Burdmann EA*, Jha V. Acute kidney injury due to tropical infectious diseases and animal venoms - a tale of two continents. Kidney International 2017 May; 91(5): 1033-46.
- Prabhakar D, Rathi M, Nada R, Minz RW, Kumar V, Kohli HS, Jha V, Gupta KL. Anti-glomerular basement membrane disease: Case series from a tertiary center in North India. Indian Journal of Nephrology. 2017 Mar-Apr;27(2):108-112.
- Yadav AK, Ramachandran R, Aggarwal A, Kumar V, Gupta KL, Jha V*. Fibroblast Growth Factor 23 (FGF23) in untreated Nephrotic syndrome. Nephrology (Carlton). 2017 Jan 14. doi: 10.1111/nep.13001. [Epub ahead of print].
- Jha V*, Modi G. Uncovering the rising kidney failure deaths in India. The Lancet Global Health January 2017; 5(1): e14-e15.
- Jha V*, Arici M, Collins AJ, Garcia-Garcia G, Hemmelgarn BR, Jafar TH, Pecoits-Filho R, Sola L, Swanepoel CR, Tchokhonelidze I, Wang AYM, Kasiske BL, Wheeler DC, Spasovski G. Understanding kidney care needs and implementation strategies in low and middle income countries: Conclusions from a Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) Controversies Conference. Kidney International 2016 Dec;90(6):1164-1174.
Author/Chapters In Book
- Kumar V and Jha V. Infectious Complications and Vaccination in Chronic Kidney Disease. In Management of Chronic Kidney Disease. A Clinician's Guide. Arici M (Ed). Springer. 2014 pp 255-65.
- Ramachandran R and Jha V. Viral Hepatitis and renal Transplantation. In Kidney Transplantation: Clinical Practice. M Adel Bakr (Ed). MU Press, Cairo. 2014. pp273-98.
- Jha V. Membranous nephropathy: Diagnosis and Treatment in 2012. Medicine Update. Association of Physicians of India, Vol XXVI 2012, pp 417-23.
- Jha V and Chugh KS. Takayasu Arteritis. Rheumatology and the Kidney (2nd Ed). Adu D (Ed). Oxford University Press, Oxford 2012. pp209-226.
- Burdmann E, Jha V, Sitprija V. Acute Kidney Injury in the Tropics. In Floege J, Johnson R, and Feehally J. Comprehensive Clinical Nephrology, 4th ed Saunders Elsevier, St Louis. 2011 pp 813-820.
- Jha V. Tropical Renal Diseases. In Weatherall DA, Cox TM, Firth J, et al (Eds) Oxford Textbook of Medicine. Oxford University Press, Oxford 2010.
- Jha V, Chugh KS. Malaria and kidney injury. In Ronco C, Bellomo R, Kellum J (Eds). Critical Care Nephrology. Saunders Elsevier, Philadelphia 2009 pp 850-6.
- Jha V. Drugs and the kidney. In: Biller J (Ed) Interface of Neurology and Internal Medicine. Lippincott, Philadelphia 2008. pp 211-216.
- Jha V and Ravi Shankar MS. Renal Osteodystrophy. In Teotia SPS and Teotia M (Eds) Nutritional and Metabolic Bone and Stone Disease. CSS Publishers, New Delhi. 2008 pp 530-543.
- Jha V and Chugh KS. Economics of ESRD in Developing Countries. In: M El-Nahas, R Barsoum, J Dirks (Eds). Kidney Disease in Ethnic Minorities. Taylor & Francis, London 2005. pp 39-48.
- Jha V, Chugh KS. Tropical Glomerulopathies. In Davison AM, Cameron JS, Grunfeld J-P, Ronco C, Ritz E, Winearls, CG, Van Ypersele De Strihou C (Eds) Oxford Textbook of Nephrology, Oxford University Press, Oxford 2005 pp 639-58.
- Chugh KS, Sitprija V, Jha V. Acute Renal Failure in the Tropical Countries. In Davison AM, Cameron JS, Grunfeld J-P, Ronco C, Ritz E, Winearls, CG, Van Ypersele De Strihou C (Eds) Oxford Textbook of Nephrology, Oxford University Press, Oxford 2005 pp 1614-29.
Case Reports and Correspondence
- Ramachandran R, Bharati J, Jha V. Successful treatment of C1q nephropathy with CD19 targeted Rituximab therapy. Nephrology (Carlton). 2017 Mar;22(3):265.
- Yadav AK, Kumar V, Sinha N, Jha V. APOL1 risk allele variants are absent in Indian Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease. Kidney International 2016; Oct;90(4):906-7.
- Ramachandran R, Kumar V, Jha V*. Cyclical cyclophosphamide and steroids is effective in resistant or relapsing nephrotic syndrome due to M-type phospholipase A2 receptor-related membranous nephropathy after tacrolimus therapy. Kidney International 2016 Jun;89(6):1401-2.
- Ramachandran R, Kumar V, Nada R, Jha V*. Serial monitoring of anti-PLA(2)R in initial PLA(2)R-negative patients with primary membranous nephropathy. Kidney International. 2015 Nov; 88(5):1198-1199.
- Ramachandran R, Doddi P, Nandakrishna B, Nada R, Kumar V, Rathi M, Kohli HS, Jha V, Sakhuja V, Gupta KL. Combination of pulse cyclophosphamide and steroids in crescentic IgA nephropathy. International Urology Nephrology. 2015 Sep 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lavee J, Jha V. Organ transplantation in China: concerns remain. Lancet. 2015 Mar 7;385(9971):855.
- Ramachandran R, Sharma V, Nada R, Jha V, Gupta KL, Kohli HS. Role of Tacrolimus only therapy in modified Ponticelli regimen resistant idiopathic membranous glomerulonephritis. Nephrology (Carlton). 2015 Jan;20(1):44-46.
- Lal A, Singhal M, Ramachandran R, Rathi M, Jha V, Khandelwal N. Percutaneous injection of acrylic glue into renal allograft pseudoaneurysm for control of intractable post-biopsy hematuria. Indian Journal of Nephrology. 2014 Mar;24(2):124-6.
- Gupta KL, Joshi K, Bhat A, Kohli HS, Jha V, Sakhuja V. Mucormycosis of the transplanted kidney with renal papillary necrosis. Experimental and Clinical Transplantation. 2013 Dec;11(6):554-7.
- Jha V*, Garcia-Garcia G. Global kidney disease - Authors' reply. Lancet. 2013 Oct 12;382(9900):1244.
- Goyal A, Singh SK, Nanjappa B, Kumar S, Nada R, Rathi M, Jha V*. The case: fever, skin lesion, and acute renal failure. Kidney International 2013 Oct;84(4):853-4.
- Ramachandran R, Rathi M, Nada R, Gupta V, Gorsi U, Sharma K, Jha V*. Reversible rapidly progressive renal failure with loss of vision. Kidney International. 2013 Jul;84(1):219-20.
- Ramachandran R, Rajakumar V, Rawat A, Nada R, Kumar V, Rathi M, Kohli HS, Sakhuja V, Jha V*. IgG4-related tubulointerstitial nephritis presenting with psychiatric manifestations and skin lesions. International Urology Nephrology 2013 (in press).
Invited Lectures in National and International Meetings
- World Congress of Nephrology, Mexico City, April 2017.
- The challenges of water purification for dialysis.
- AKI due to herbal medications.
- Satellite Symposium - Kidney Disease in Disadvantaged Populations, Hacienda Jurica, Santiago de Queretaro, Mexico.
- Burden of disease and state of management of ESRD in South Asia.
- Infectious and Global Nephrology course. UCL Centre for Nephrology Royal Free, London. March 2017.
- Burden of CKD due to diabetes and hypertension.
- 3rd International Renal Pathology Conference, New Delhi, Feb 2017.
- Tropical Infections and the Kidney.
- 12th Annual Conference of the North Zone Chapter of Indian Society of Nephrology, Lucknow Feb 2017.
- Microbiome and the kidneys.
- 15th Asian Pacific Congress of Nephrology, Perth, Sept .
- Ethical issues in dialysis therapy - a global perspective (Ross R Bailey Lecture).
- Challenges in guideline implementation in LMIC.
- 10th meeting of the Asian Forum of CKD Initiative, Perth, Sept 2016.
- Health system reforms in LMIC - Using algorithms and task shifting .
- 59th Annual Congress of the Japanese Society of Nephrology, Yokohama, Japan, June 2016.
- Climate change and tropical acute kidney injury in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Global Aspects of Chronic Kidney Disease: Implications for Asia.
- 36th Annual Meeting of the Korean Society of Nephrology, Seoul, Korea, May 2016.
- Diagnosis and Management of ADPKD - Report from the KDIGO Controversies Conference.
- 13th Annual Congress of Bangladesh Renal Association, Dhaka, Bangladesh. December 2015.
- Maintaining HD Standards of Care in Challenging Environments.
- Kidney Transplantation in SLE.
- International Symposium of Sind Institute of Urology and Nephrology, Karachi, Pakistan December 2015.
- Acute kidney injury in the Tropics - What are the challenges.
- ESRD Treatment around the World - Economic and Demographic considerations .