Director, Nephrology and Renal
Has over 30 years of teaching experience in various tertiary care hospitals of Armed Forces, including Armed Forces Medical College Pune and Army Hospital (Research & Referral), New Delhi.
Awards and Honors
Academic Awards (For Best Clinical/Research Work In The Field Medicine):
- Air Marshal Ajit Nath Award (1996) – Renal Transplant. An early experience in Armed Forces.
- Maj Gen Amir Chand Award (1997)- The impact of HLA matching on renal allograft survival.
- Chief of Naval Staff Award (2006) - Impact of Hepatitis C virus infection in Renal Transplant Recipients.
- Chief of Army Staff Commendation 1998 in recognition of devotion to duty/distinguished service.
- Chief of Army Staff Commendation 2008 in recognition of devotion to duty/distinguished service.
- Vishisht Seva Medal 2010 for distinguished service to the Nation of a high order.
- Param Vishisht Seva Medal 2014 for distinguished service to the Nation of the most exceptional order.
- Presidents Honorary Surgeon -2014
- Best Officer Award, Medical Officer Junior Command Course – Administration Phase.
- DGAFMS Silver Medal, Medical Officer Junior Command Course – Professional Phase.
- MBBS (1975) Stanley Medical College, Madras
- MD, Gen Medicine (1982) Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
- DM, Nephrology (1989) Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
Appointment To Professional National Bodies:
- Chairman – MD (Gen Med) Paper Program, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences (2006)
- Member – Board of Examination, University of Pune (2008)
- Refree – Life Sciences Project, Dept of Biotechnology, GOI
- Paper Setter - National Board Of Examinations
- Fellow of American College of Physicians (2008).
- Editor in Chief - Medical Journal Armed Forces India (2007 – 2008)
- Associate Editor - Indian Journal of Nephrology (Till 2016)
- DM (Nephrology) – Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research, Chandigarh
- MD (Gen Med) - Maharashtra University of Health Sciences (MUHS)
- MBBS - Maharashtra University of Health Sciences (MUHS)
- DNB (Nephrology) - National Board Of Examinations
Membership Of Professional Bodies:
- Association Of Physicians Of India
- Indian Society Of Nephrology
- Indian Society Of Organ Transplant
- Asian Society Of Organ Transplant
Research Projects Completed:
- AFMRC Project 88 – Fabrication of Semi Automatic Peritoneal Dialysis machine (1988).
- AFMRC 1873/91 – Slow Continuous Haemodialysis in Management of Acute Renal Failure (1991).
- AFMRC Project 2049/95:- Reprocessing of Haemodialyser – A Critical Appraisal of its Safety & Critical efficacy (1995)
- AFMRC3322/2005: Early detection of renal disease in Armed Forces. A Pilot Study (2005).
Author/Chapter In Books:
- Anand AC, Narula AS, Kakkar R. (editors) Textbook of Environmental Emergencies 1st edition. Typo graphics. Mumbai (2006).
- Narula AS. Environmental Toxins and the Kidney. In, Anand AC, Narula AS, Kakkar R. (editors) Textbook of Environmental Emergencies. 1st. edition. Typo graphics. Mumbai (2006).
- Narula AS. Opportunistic Infections post renal transplant. National Medicine Update. AFMC 2001.
- Narula AS, Manoj P. Diabetic Nephropathy. National Medicine Update. AFMC 2003.
- Narula AS, Hooda AK. Hypokalemia. Emergencies in Medicine. AFMC 2005.
- Acid Base Disturbances in the Intensive Care Unit. Medicine Update. CH(EC) 2006.
- Narula AS, Hooda AK.Vascular Injury to the Kidney.In, Y P Munjal(ed). API Text Book of Medicine.9th edition,2012.pg 1323-16
- Planned and executed the establishment of a Renal Transplant Centre at Command Hospital (Central Command) Lucknow.
- Established the Dialysis Centre at Base Hospital, Delhi.
- Pioneered the Organ Donor and Renal Transplant Programme at Army Hospital (Research & Referral), Delhi.
- Narula AS, Rana PVS, Narula HS. Miller Fisher Syndrome – A Variant of Gullian Barre Syndrome. Med J Armed Forces India 1983.
- Narula AS, Anand K. Digitalis Toxicity. J of Applied Medicine 1984.
- Narula AS, Narula HS. Hypoglycaemia in Falciparum Malaria. Journal Assoc Phy Ind 1985.
- Kasthuri AS, Narula AS. Plasmodium Vivax – Unusual Manifestation. Journal Assoc Phy Ind 1989.
- Bhattacharya K, Narula AS. Peritoneal Dialysis. Medical Journal Armed Forces India 1990; 46:2.
- Narula AS, Sakhuja V, Chugh KS. Renal Stones in Post Transplant period. Indian J Nephrology 1990.
- Narula AS, Chugh KS. Pathogenesis of Minimal Change Nephropathy. Journal Indian Medical Associan 1990; 1-2.
- Narula AS, Sakhuja V, Chugh KS. Progression of Chronic Renal Failure. Newer concepts. Journal Assoc Phy Ind.1990; 38: 415 – 17.
- Anand AC, Ramjirai, Narula AS, Singh D. Malarial Hepatitis. Single entity or Heterogeneous Syndrome. Indian J Gastroenterology 1991; 4:45 –6.
- Gupta KL, Kochhar R, Narula AS, Sakhuja V, Chugh KS. Spontaneous Rupture of the Oesophagus (Boerhaave's Syndrome) Presenting as Pyopneumothorax. Journal Assoc Phy Ind 1991; 39: 211 – 12.
- Anand AC, Narula AS, Anand M. Idiopathic Edema. A Missed entity. Journal Assoc Phy Ind.1991;
- Mishra A, Narula AS. Methaemoglobinemia in Aniline Dye Positioning. Med J Armed Forces India 1991;
- Narula AS, Mishra A, Anand AC, Gupta HS, Waryam Singh. Post Streptococcal Glomerulonephritis – Coexisting with Acute Rheumatic Fever – A case report. Journal Assoc Phy Ind1992; 40:685 – 6.
- Mishra A, Narula AS, Anand AC. Alport Syndrome – A case report with family study Med J Armed Forces India 1993 : 49 : 69 – 70.
- Verma RN, Yashpal, Narula AS. IGA Nephropathy – A Clinic pathological study. Indian J Nephrology 1992; 2: 9 – 11.
- Narula AS, Mishra A, Singh W. Tuberculosis in end stage Renal Disease. Med J Armed Forces India 1993; 106 –8.
- Vohra LS, Narula AS, Selvaraj S. Micro Surgical Techniques in Haemodialysis Vascular Access Surgery. Med J Armed Forces India1993; 299 – 300.
- Narula AS, Uberoi HS. Acute Renal Failure changing trends. Indian J Nephrology (New Series) 1994; 4: 21 – 23.
- Narula AS. Newer Therapies to retard progression of Renal Disease AFMC update 1994.
- Narula AS. Bleeding Disorder in Uremia. Delhi Nephrology Society Update 1993.
- Narula AS. Nephritic Oedema – Do We Know Why? Delhi Nephrology Society Update 1994.
- Chopra GS, Narula AS, Mehra NK. Sensitization State of Potential Live Related Donor Renal Transplant Patient Med J Armed Forces India 1995; 51: 288 –90.
- Narula AS. Renal Transplant. An early experience Med J Armed Forces India 1995; 51:
- Chopra GS, Narula AS, Dash SC, Mehra NK. Clinical Application of Flow Cytometry in LRD Renal Transplant Patient. Med J Armed Forces India 1996; 52: 3-6.
- Narula AS, Bali HS, Sakhuja, Chugh KS, Uberoi HS. Silent Myocardial Ischaemia Haemodialysis Patients – Fact or Fiction? Med J Armed Forces India 1996 52; 110 – 112.
- Saini JS, Narula AS, Khati C, Uberoi HS. Carbohydrate Metabolic Disturbance in Hyperthyroidism. Med J Armed Forces India 1996; 52: 149 – 52.
- Saini JS, Narula AS, Naqvi S, Uberoi HS. Prevalence of Microalbuminuria in NIDDM. Med J Armed Forces India 1996; 52: 153 – 156.
- Narula AS, Chaudhury MR, Thkaur SK, Karloopia SD, Kolhe VS, Chauhan SS. Chronic Hepatitis in patients of Chronic Renal Failure – Post Graduate Clinic – Medical Journal Armed Forces India 1998, 54: 148 – 50.
- Hyponatremia – Revisited. Post Graduate Clinic Journal Assoc Phy Ind 2000, 48.
- Renal Failure – Narula AS, Murty MSN, Saxena VK. Tuberculosis in Renal Transplant Recipients. A different perspective. J Marine Medical Society 2000, 2: 104 –107.
- Narula AS, Chopra GS, Chaudhary MR, Nair V, Kolhi VS. GM-CSF in a Renal Allograft Recipient with Toxoplasmosis & Leucopoenia. Ind J Nephrology 1997; 7: 11 – 13.
- Narula AS, Murty MSN, Patrulu KSN, Saxena VK. Routine Cyclosporine concentration level monitoring is helpful in the early post renal transplant period. Med J Armed Forces India 2003.
- Hooda AK, Narula AS. Azithromycin in the treatment of gum hyperplasia in renal transplant recipients on cyclosporine – Indian J of Nephrology 2004; 14:53-55.
- Kapoor R, Narula AS, Anand AC. Treatment of Acute Mountain Sickness and High Altitude Pulmonary Edema. Med J Armed Forces India .2004.60: 384-7.
- Hooda AK, Narula AS. Pericardial cyst. A rare association with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. Indian J of Nephrology 2005; 15:28-29.
- Hooda AK, Narula AS. External Rhabdomyolysis causing Acute Renal Failure. MJAFI 2005; 49-50.
- Narula AS, Hooda AK, Anand AC, Patrikar S. Impact of hepatitis C virus Infection in Renal Transplant Recipients. Indian J of Gastroenterology. 2005, 24: 151-4.
- Narula AS, Hooda AK. Conservative management of chronic renal failure. Med J Armed Forces India 2007:63:56-61.
- AS Narula Affiliations Armed Forces Medical College, Pune-40, AG Mathur What's in a Name? Med J Armed Forces India 2007; 63:210-211.
- Narula AS.Chronic kidney disease: The looming threat. Med J Armed Forces India 2008; 64:2-3.
- Narula AS.Walking into sunset. Med J Armed Forces India 2008; 64:202-203.
- Menon, AS, Narula, AS, Mathur, AG. Multivitamins: Use or Misuse? MJAFI 2008; 64:263-267.
- SK Joshi, T Murari, AS Narula, KV Baliga, VD Charan. How robust are our methods of detecting impaired glomerular filtration rate in the intensive care unit? Medical Journal Armed Forces India 2008; 64:111-114.
- Baliga KV, Narula AS, Khanduja R, Manrai M, Sharma P, Mani NS. Acute cortical necrosis in falciparum malaria: An unusual presentation.RenalFailure2008:30,461-463.
- Narula AS, Jairam A, Baliga KV, Singh KJ. Pathogenesis and management of renal osteodystrophy. Indian Journal of Nephrology 2007; 17:150-159.
- Tuberculosis in patients on maintenance Haemodialysis. Annual Conf Ind. Soc. Nephrology 199.
- IGA Nephropathy – Experience in Armed Forces. Annual Con. Ind. Soc. Nephrology1991.
- Chronic renal failure. Continuing Medical Education Programme. Command Hospital. Eastern Command.
- Urinary Tract Infection. Continuing Medical Education Programme. Command Hospital. Eastern Command. 1991.
- Renal Biopsy – Is it necessary in Management of Idiopathic Nephrotic Syndrome. Annual Conf. Association of Physician of India, 1992.
- Dynamic ST/T Wave changes in patients of Chronic Renal Failure on Haemodialysis Annual Conf. Association of Physician of India 1992.
- Haemodialysis Induced Cardiac Arrhythmias. Armed Forces Medical Research Committee Conf. 1992.
- Dynamic ST Segment changes and Cardiac Arrhythmias in patients on Haemodialysis. Asian Pacific Conf of Nephrology 1993.
- Pregnancy and Renal Disease. Medicine update. Army Hospital Research & Referral Delhi Cantt. 1993.
- Acute Renal Failure-Changing Trends. Annual Conf Association of Physician of India 1993.
- Newer Therapies to Retard Progression of Renal Disease. Armed Forces Medical Research Committee Conf. Medicine Update 1994.
- Silent Myocardial Ischemia in Haemodialysis. Annual Conference Indian Soc. of Nephrology 1994.
- Practical Management of Fluids & Electrolytes – Indian Medical Association Conference. Delhi Chapter 1995.
- Risk Factors for Renal Disease in Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus. Annual Conf Indian Soc of Nephrology 1995.
- A Comparison of two Drug VS Triple Drug Regimen in live related Renal Transplants. Annual Conf Association of Physician of India 1995.
- Clinical Course Following Renal Transplant. An experience in Armed Forces. Annual Conf Indian Soc of Nephrology. New Delhi 1996.
- Conservative Management of Chronic Renal Failure. National Medical Forum 1996.
- Autonomic Function in Chronic Renal Failure & Effect of Renal Transplant. Annual Conf Indian Soc of Nephrology 1997.
- Management of 100 successful Renal Transplants. Medicine Update. Army Hospital Research & Referral 1998.
- Post Renal Transplant Opportunistic Infections. Indian Society of Organ Transplant 2000.
- Haemodialyser Reuse – A critical appraisal of its safety & Efficacy. Annual Conf Indian Soc of Nephrology 2000.
- Diabetic Nephropathy. Annual Conference of Marine Medical Society 2000.
- Post-Renal Transplant Tuberculosis. A different perspective. Bombay Medical Congress 2001.
- Post Renal Transplant Hepatitis C. Liver Update. Army Hospital (Research & Referral) 2002.
- Conservative Management of Chronic Renal Failure. Consensus Conference. Command Hospital 2003.
- Impact of Hepatitis C on patient and renal graft survival. Annual Conference Indian Society of Nephrology 2003.
- Early referral to a nephrologist. Why? Renal Sciences Update, Army Hospital (Research & Referral) 2005.
- How should we be teaching our Undergraduates? Teachers Training Program. Armed Forces Medical College Pune 2005.
- How safe is modern Haemodialysis. Gap between theory and Practice. Annual Conference Indian Society of Nephrology 2005.
- Microalbuminuria is an independent predictor of micro and macro vascular complications in patients at high risk for renal disease. Annual Conference Indian Society of Nephrology 2006.
- Acid Base Status in The Intensive Care Unit. Medicine Update. Command Hospital (Eastern Command) 2006.
- Problem Case Solving. Asymptomatic Urinary Abnormalities. Annual Conference, Association of Physicians India 2007.
- Conservative management of Chronic Kidney Disease. National Medicine Update, Armed Forces Medical College, Pune. 2008.
- Medical Emergency: National Medicine update, Armed Forces Medical College, Pune. 2010.
- Recent Concepts in Diabetic Nephropathy. Medicine update. Military Hospital Wellington. 2011.
- Lupus Flares: Annual Conference North Zone Indian Society of Nephrology. 2013.
- Podocytopathy, Annual Conference, North Zone Indian Society of Nephrology. 2014.
- JNC-8 Management of Hypertension. What is there for the nephrologist, PGIMER Chandigarh. 2014.